Youth Voice, Youth Vote 2022-2023
Youth Voice, Youth Vote Participatory Budgeting Process (2022-2023)
- What is Youth Voice, Youth Vote (YV2)?
- Youth Voice, Youth Vote (YV2) Frequently Asked Questions
- How is this being funded? Where did the $500,000 come from?
- Who is responsible for managing this process?
- How did youth get involved? What are they responsible for?
- What are the rules? What is the Rulebook?
- How are you collecting ideas and what voting system are you using?
- What can I do for Youth Voice, Youth Vote Participatory Budgeting (YV² PB)?
How did youth get involved? What are they responsible for?
YV2 staff convened a team of five youth consultants from the outset of the project and formed the YV2 Steering Committee. The youth consultants met for several months and set the initial criteria for community outreach and project goals. Their main responsibility was to design the Steering Committee application and to score and select committee members from a pool of 54 applicants.
The Steering Committee is made up of 12 youth ages 14-25 who live throughout the project area. Their job has been to research the needs of youth and to learn from community experts and leaders. They have used their lived experience and knowledge to design the rules for YV2 which were used to produce the contents of the YV2 Rulebook. Responsibilities: design Rulebook; advise on community outreach; support evaluation; and promote the process.
Youth Budget Delegates
- Sort input from idea collection
- Develop ideas into real proposals
- Form subcommittees based on proposal themes
- Assess community need
- Conduct project site visits
- Formalize proposal details for ballot
Youth Community Members
- Submit ideas for potential projects
- Vote for projects to receive funding
- Get projects made for them in their communities