Youth Voice, Youth Vote PB (YV² PB)
Uplifting Youth Voices in Participatory Budgeting
1? - ?
Launch & Steering Committee
Youth Voice, Youth Vote Participatory Budgeting (YV² PB) -- Oregon’s first participatory budgeting process
- Activates people’s power over real money in a structured process that redistributes power and resources to benefit under-represented and under-resourced populations
- Foster and support youth civic leadership and public health
- Young people identify community-driven COVID-19 relief and recovery projects funded by $500,000 in American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds (External link)
- Carry out participatory budgeting for ARPA funds committed by State Legislators Kayse Jama, Chris Gorsek, and Ricki Ruiz
- Partner with organizations to engage at least 5,000 youth in Senate Districts 24 and 25 in East Multnomah and North Clackamas Counties
- Work toward a second cycle to follow this initial effort could allocate additional public funds within a similar project area in 2023 and 2024.
210/15/2022 - 01/31/2023
Idea Collection is the phase of participatory budgeting where eligible participants brainstorm ideas about what they want to see in their community. Eligible youth can do this through attending in-person Idea Collection assemblies or online using this platform.
Eligibility criteria and guidelines for submitting ideas:
- 13-25 years old
- Live, play, pray or go to school within Oregon Senate District 24 or 25 in the last two years.
- Share up to 10 ideas at Idea Collection assemblies and online
302/04/2023 - 04/30/2023
Project Proposal Development
After all the Idea Collection assemblies have been held and the Idea Collection period online ends, Project Proposal Development begins.
From dozens or hundreds of ideas collected, ultimately about 5-10 projects ranging from $50,000 - $100,000 per project may be voted on by youth throughout Senate Districts 24 and 25, and funded by the ARPA allocations.
Budget Delegates take the collected ideas and work with YV2 staff and Project Implementers in order to develop implementable and feasible projects to be voted on. All youth who meet the eligibility criteria are invited to sign up to be a Budget Delegate at YouthPB.org or at any Idea Collection assembly. Applications are due by December 23, 2022 . Budget Delegates will meet as committees, research ideas, and produce project proposals for the ballot.
YV2 staff and Process Facilitators will support project development to ensure that are possible, scaled accurately and have realistic cost assessments. Budget Delegates will research and design projects that are aligned with YV2 Values and Goals, and Project Themes.
405/01/2023 - 07/31/2023
Voting on Project Proposals takes place from May - June 2023 at in person events and through online voting. Votes collected at all venues will be compiled and counted. Be sure to register on this platform, or attend our voting assemblies.
Youth select the projects they want funded. Projects with the most votes are funded until the $500,000 is spent. Approximately 5-10 projects will be funded with the available funds of $500,000. Eligible youth can vote at Voting Assemblies, or online at youthpb.org/participate. Participants are allowed one vote per project. Projects with the most votes win.
5? - ?
Winning projects for implementation are subject to ARPA guidelines. More information to come.